Atelier Pictures is a super talented and local wedding filmmaker that we are excited to introduce to all of our couples! In addition to wedding photography, you might be considering adding a wedding film to your keepsakes. Learn more about them below!
1. Where are you originally from? And how long have you been in Portland?
I am originally from Olympia, WA, so basically born and raised in the rain. I’ve been in Portland since 2006 and loving life!
2. What is your favorite thing about Portland?
I love all the neighborhood hubs throughout the city. I’m especially fond of Woodlawn, Mississippi, and Alberta.
3. What is your favorite spot or thing to do in Portland?
My favorite place in the city is definitely Forest Park. I love a good place to wander.
4. How long have you been working as a professional wedding filmaker?
I’ve been in the world of weddings since 2005… seems like yesterday.
5. What people/training/experiences/opportunities led you to this career path?
My training as an artist has proved to be the driving force of my career and personal passions. I graduated with a B.A. in Art from Azusa Pacific University and an M.F.A. in Documentary Practices from Vermont College of Fine Arts.
6. How would you describe the importance of your role & why do you feel a couple should hire a professional filmmaker for their wedding day?
Hiring a filmmaker to document your wedding day is incredibly valuable. There are myriad small details that would be forgotten without a trusted observer to capture them. But more importantly, you are welcoming an artist to use their creativity and insight to craft a story about who you are and what your relationship represents.
7. What is the best part of your job?
The best part of my job is hearing from couples 5, 10, and 15 years after their wedding. The only reason I continue to do this job is in the hope that my artistic efforts have meaning in someone’s life… And my clients from years gone by remind me that the films and photographs I made for them still resonate deeply.
8. What do you find most challenging about your specific line of work or weddings in general?
The biggest challenge is the same thing that piques my curiosity… You never know what is going to happen! My favorite moments are unscripted and spontaneous, so I always have to be on my toes.
9. Do you work solo or do you have a studio and/or team?
I work both as a solo artist and I also have a team that can join in the fun. It all depends on the logistics of the event and what we need to capture.
10. What do you attribute to your success as a wedding filmmaker? What do you think makes you stand apart from others in your field?
As an artist, it is clear that I bring a unique perspective, aesthetic, and personality to my work. I always strive for excellence in craftsmanship and I hope that I continue to improve until the absolute last film I get to create.
11. At what point in the wedding planning process should clients hire you?
I always recommend that couples get in touch as soon as possible because I want to make sure your date is still available.
12. Where do you draw inspiration? Are there any current trends you are excited about?
I’m sure it’s no surprise that my inspiration comes from the film world, as well as the art world. At the risk of getting out of hand, I’ll limit myself to a short list here: Alejandro González Iñárritu, Salvador Dali, Steve McCurry, Hayao Miyazaki, Ingmar Bergman, and Marina Abramović… just to name a few.
13. What is the most important thing that couples should ask someone in your profession before hiring them?
For wedding videography, a successful experience comes down to loving the work and feeling confident in your rapport.
14. What is your best advice for wedding clients?
Surround yourself with people you love and make the experience all your own!
15. Anything else you’d like couples to know about you?
I spend a lot of time with my wife and two sons. We love to get outside to ski, hike, and SUP.
16. What other local wedding professionals are currently inspiring you?
Recently, I’ve been doing quite a few elopement ceremonies with my colleague Ara Roselani ( http://www.elopeadventurously.com/ ) – She is crazy talented!
Here are some highlight films for you to enjoy!
All images and videos in this post were captured by Atelier Pictures