Since 2000, Artemis Foods has been Portland’s premier local, organic and sustainable caterer. The dynamic seasonal bounty of the Northwest and the farmers with whom they work inspire their menu creations. Whether a cocktail party, brunch or luncheon, or a buffet, family-style or plated dinner, they can help turn your event into lasting memories.
Artemis Foods has also partnered with Portland’s newest urban event venue, Everett West, located in the heart of the Pearl District. Showcasing exposed brick, reclaimed wood walls, poured concrete floors, and gleaming chandeliers. This space and their food & drink? A dream come true! Learn more from our chat with owner, Lauren, below.
1. Where are you originally from? And how long have you been in Portland?
I’m a native Oregonian, I lived in New York for 4 years of college, then 12 years in Sun Valley Idaho where I started my professional catering career. I’ve now been back in Portland for 12 years.
2. What is your favorite thing about Portland?
I love the great food scene here and access to locally grown products
3. What is your favorite spot or thing to do in Portland?
Visit our weekly farmer’s markets
4. How long have you been working as a professional wedding caterer?
I’ve been working as a professional wedding caterer and event planner for 20 years
5. What people/training/ experiences/opportunities led you to this career path?
I started out as a Chef in restaurants which eventually led to opening my own catering company
6. How would you describe the importance of your role & why do you feel a couple should hire a professional caterer for their wedding day?
Hiring a catering company and working with an event planner on your wedding ensures that all of the catering needs are covered. We coordinate menus, rentals, staffing, beverages, working closely with our clients to make sure every detail is attended to.
7. What is the best part of your job?
I love working with brides and grooms to see their perfect day come together successfully and beyond their expectations
8. What do you find most challenging about your specific line of work or weddings in general?
The unknowns in events that are out of our control and harder to manage like unexpected bad weather on an outdoor wedding
9. Do you work solo or do you have a studio and/or team?
I have fantastic team of talented planners, chef, kitchen staff, servers and bartenders who all help to make our events successful and delicious
10. What do you attribute to your success as a wedding caterer? What do you think makes you stand apart from others in your field?
Our attention to detail on the planning side helps to become successful in bringing a clients ideas to fruition. We stand apart from other caterers with our commitment to using local products and working with local farms to bring farm to table food to weddings and events.
11. At what point in the wedding planning process should clients hire you?
Near the beginning of the planning stage it’s important to start looking for a caterer. Since this is a large portion of a wedding budget, it’s a good idea to get a clear idea what part of your budget catering will likely be.
12. Where do you draw inspiration? Are there any current trends you are excited about?
I draw inspiration from what is happening around us in the food scene in Portland. We are so fortunate to have easy access to farms, wineries and fresh seafood only hours away, it’s easy to get inspired to create delicious food with great fresh products right in our “backyard”.
13. What is the most important thing that couples should ask someone in your profession before hiring them?
Do a tasting, make sure you know what quality of food will be served at your wedding, ask to try their wines with the food. We strive to be as sustainable as possible as there is a lot waste in the catering world, ask what they do with waste, do they recycle, compost, donate unused food.
14. What is your best advice for wedding clients?
Have fun with the process, you are essentially throwing the best party of your life, don’t let the little details bog you down.
15. What other local wedding professional (s) are currently inspiring you?
We have so many great vendor partners that we love working with from rental companies to florists to lighting specialists. As they say, it takes a village!
Featured photo taken at Everett West by Christina Kuenzli Photography