Wedding planning blogs are filled with plenty of tips and gorgeous inspiration for the perfect day, but what about mistakes and what NOT to do? With our wedding industry experience and chats with former couples and local wedding planners, like Your Perfect Bridesmaid, we have a sense of the most common mistakes engaged couples make. Hiring a professional wedding planner is, of course, the number one hack for avoiding these and many other wedding planning don’ts…after all they are the experts that do this for a living! You can put your trust in them and they can guide you along the way. In the meantime, here are 10 of them to avoid when planning your wedding!
- Booking a venue before making your guest list, thus ending up with either too little space for the guest count, or too much unused space that you still have to pay for.
- Not reading vendor contracts carefully. You don’t want to plan a sparkler send-off and then realize too late that your venue doesn’t allow fire!
- Paying little attention to choosing food and drink. Guests will remember if the menu and bar were somehow disappointing!
- Not hiring a professional DJ or music service. Inexperience puts a downer on the celebratory vibe.
- Underestimating your budget. Many couples fixate on ”price per head,” forgetting that it doesn’t include many other costs like flowers, apparel, invitations, delivery fees, and tips.
- Thinking you can take care of everything yourself. Weddings are major events – accept that you will need help, and ask for it! Or hire a planner if you can.
- Not thinking through logistics. For example: selecting décor that doesn’t match your venue, having a large gap between the ceremony and reception, or not planning enough time to greet each guest. Make sure you think things through and that there’s a sense of “flow.”
- Not hiring a professional photographer. Photos are one of the most precious aspects of the whole wedding – make sure you don’t take any chances! Hire an experienced photographer with professional equipment.
- Stressing about the smaller things. It’s easy to get swept up in the details, but try not to fixate and get decision fatigue on whether the table numbers should be held in silver or gold sign holders – little things like that don’t matter! Focus on what truly will, like food, music, photos, and the love you share with each other and your guests.
- Not putting yourselves first, getting carried away with Pinterest ideas and trendy or traditional recommendations without considering or voicing what you really want. Is the greenery floral trend not your style? No problem – choose brighter flowers instead. Not a fan of champagne? Then don’t have a champagne toast! Keep this day about the two of you!
All images used in this post are by Lauryn Kay Photography
This Tips & Advice piece was submitted by Dana Barbar, a trusted local wedding professional and talented writer.
The Art of Weddings Portland strongly recommends you hire a professional wedding planner that is experienced and connected to the top vendors in the community. You can find the full list of our favorite Portland planners, venues, and vendors in our vendor guide! Follow us on Instagram at @artofweddingspdx too!
You should also keep your eye on The Venue Crawl event. Wedding planning has never been so much fun! Follow on Instagram at @portlandvenuecrawl and check it out.